Chippewa Valley Dental Health provides personalized denture services that meet the needs and comfort levels of patients in need of smile restoration in and around Eau Claire, WI. We take our time and listen to your wants and concerns to determine the best course of treatment to meet your smile needs. If dentures are your best choice, you can rest assured that your new smile will be as strong, functional, and natural-looking as possible.
What are dentures?
Dentures are necessary if you have lost all of your natural teeth or if your natural teeth are damaged beyond repair. Dentures are chosen over implants if there is not enough bone to hold a dental implant.
There are two types of dentures: full and partial.
- Full dentures are used in all of your natural teeth have been removed. Conventional full dentures are placed after the gum tissue has healed, which can take several months. Immediate full dentures are placed immediately after the teeth have been removed, though they may require frequent adjustment visits to our Eau Claire dental office during the first few of months of use.
- Partial dentures are used to replace a select number of permanent teeth when they have been removed. A partial denture uses adjacent teeth as anchors. Partial dentures are considered a removable alternative to bridges.
Dentures are not for everyone. If you're interested in learning more about dentures and want to know if they are the right choice for you, please schedule an appointment with Dr. Olson and our team. We will be happy to answer any questions you might have, and can determine the best course of treatment for your ongoing dental health.
Dentures, just like natural teeth, require daily maintenance to stay clean and keep bacteria from growing inside of your mouth. Dr. Olson and our team recommend these tips to keep your dentures clean and your smile healthy:
- When handling your dentures, stand over a clean, folded towel or a sink full of water. This way, if you accidentally drop your dentures, they are less likely to break.
- Use a toothbrush with soft bristles to clean your denture, tongue, cheeks, and the roof of your mouth every day.
- Soaking your dentures in denture cleaner to help remove plaque and food. Dentures that are not kept in a denture cleaning solution or in water can dry out, lose their shape, or even crack and break. Certain styles of dentures require certain soaking solutions, so be sure to ask Dr. Olson which solution is best for you.
- Visit our Eau Claire dental office for checkups every six months, even if you have a full set of dentures. These visits allow Dr. Olson to monitor your periodontal health and make sure that your dentures fit properly.
- You can eat most foods with dentures. However, you should avoid sticky foods, popcorn, nuts, seeded bread, or crackers. Tough meats like steak should be cut into small pieces.
- If by chance your dentures do break, please contact Chippewa Valley Dental Health and schedule an appointment as soon as possible. Broken dentures that don't fit properly can cause irritation to your gums and mouth.